Friday, August 29, 2008

100 days to go!

When I first found out I was pregnant, Heather gave me this little pregnancy countdown book. Instead of giving weekly or monthly updates, it gives a fun quirky fact or tidbit every day. I keep this book in the bathroom and every morning before I shower I turn the page. This morning my page said 100 days to go. Wow. 180 days down already. I started thinking about when this baby is born and what the world will be like for him. Here's a couple of interesting ideas:

1. He will never know George Bush as President. Bush will still be the sitting President when Baby Harvill is born, but he will be known as a lame duck at that point and we'll just be waiting for January 20 when the new President is sworn in.

2. The first President he will know will either be an black man with a white running mate or a white man with a female running mate. Historic. I remember when Geraldine Ferraro was selected as Walter Mondale's running mate. My mom and I met her in the airport in Florida and I remember her talking to my mom briefly about being a teacher. She gave me a pin. That was 1984 and I was seven. Remarkable what you remember.

3. When he is born, Michael Jackson and Madonna will both be 50 years old (Happy Birthday MJ, you crazy fool).

4. Our child will start kindergarten in 2014, drive a car in 2024, finish high school in 2027 and graduate from college with the class of 2031, give or take a year. I can't even fathom this.

5. He'll probably know how to work a computer before he can read or write and he'll do school presentations by using PowerPoint. I still remember slide shows and overhead projectors.

Feel free to add yours. I'll send a recap after our childbirthing class tomorrow (if we make it through without fainting).

Have a great holiday weekend.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Congrats Mama! You made it through some tough parts of your pregnancy and will be at the end before you know it! Hang in there, stay positive (as you always are) and enjoy :-)
Love, H, C & A