Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Creating a mix tape for Rockstar

Everyone knows that I love music. I think back to some of my fondest (and silliest) memories and for some reason, I can always remember what song was playing. For example, I remember finishing art camp and driving up to the boat with my parents in our Monte Carlo and hearing "Bobby McGee" for the first time. I remember my freshman year of high school, sitting in Mrs. Bazcek's awful geometry class and David Hughes playing "Picture of Nectar" on his diskman. From that moment on, I thought that Phish was phantastic. When I think of college, I can't help but recall our Gateway and Anna leaving her stereo on for an entire weekend, door locked, Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" blaring through the wall. I'm pretty sure I rebelled with some Grateful Dead or The Samples.

Well, I've determined that our baby, little ears quickly developing, already has my same love for music (Elaine, you will be so proud). These days, when I drive to work in the morning, I roll down the windows, open the sunroof and let the radio blast. It is a summer ritual for me. I have determined, over the last couple of weeks, that Rockstar already has developed a like/dislike for certain songs and artists. If Rockstar likes a song, I feel great. Almost as if I'm not pregnant for a moment. If Rockstar is not a fan, I suddenly feel the need to pull the car over and get sick on the side of I-95. If I were to make a mix tape for Rockstar, it would look something like this:

Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger (I have actually thought that if its a girl, perhaps Sally?)
Young Jeezy/Usher - Make Love in this Club (I don't pick em, people... it's what is on the radio)
Blues Traveler - Hook (especially the fast part at the end)
Miley Syrus - See You Again (I'm not kidding)
Allison Kraus/Robert Plant - Gone, Gone, Gone
The Killers - anything. Rockstar thinks The Killers rock
Roy Orbison - You've Got It (Thanks to Elaine's CD that is still in my car)
Jesse McCartney - Leavin' (Perhaps Rockstar wants to be called Boo)
Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl (a must)
Elvis - Suspicious Minds

Now don't get me wrong. Like most weddings, there is also a Do Not Play list. This includes the following:

Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately
Peter Frampton - Show Me The Way
Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
Anything by Kat Deluna or Brittney Spears (thank God)

So, here's what I want. Send me lists of your favorite songs and I'll test it out. Hopefully we can add to the playlist!

6 comments:

tanderen13 said...

why don't you try the "BEER!!!!" song by psychostick....

-thalia

Anonymous said...

when I grow up by pussy cat dolls. If you hurl, we know it's a boy ;)

AJ said...

Rockstar is so picky!

But I must say that I agree with the no Britney or KDL as well.

And I can't lie, I've found myself bopping to Miley Cyrus. Embarassing, but catchy!

I'll have to come up with a list =)

I've only been listening to my morning show, rock music and the hairspray cd recently...lol

Anonymous said...

Got another one. "Everybody Dance Now". z100 played it this morning and I was shakin' the booty while driving.

AJ said...

Mercy by Duffy. I dig that song.

And it's sort of apropos =)

Unknown said...

Er- in the same boat. Grasshopper (we switched from Spawn recently since the kid loves Kung Fu - we call it Womb Fu), loves Bon Jovi and SuperTramp. Also digs Doc Watson and Prince. Hates anything by a boy band - but likes Britney.
I would try some Greshman and Garcia on Rockstar. And of course the classic 80's. Cars - almost forgot how much the Cars rock to the fetoids.