Monday, June 23, 2008

Stop and enjoy the roses

Joel's sister Meredith has this theory that the older you are, the faster time passes. She shared some mathematical background to support her theory and since I can't add without using my fingers, I bought into it pretty quickly.

This morning, we were watching the news (sad about hearing that George Carlin had passed away) and a story ran on gas prices and the upcoming 4th of July holiday weekend. 4th of July?!? Where did June go?

Last night we had dinner with some friends (Don, Claire (and Baby), Simon, Eleana, Dan and Marissa (who took a couple of steps!). Don and Claire mentioned that tomorrow (today) is their 1 year anniversary. One year ago Joel, Simon and I were wandering aimlessly around London waiting for their nuptuals. One year ago we were looking forward to our pre-wedding trip to Italy. One year ago I wasn't a Harvill yet (or pregnant). One year ago I had poison ivy (random, but you can totally tell from the photos from the McShee wedding). One year ago we couldn't even fathom owning a house. One year ago little Marissa was just 2 months old.

Heather and Chris stopped by with baby Alexander yesterday as well. One year ago, Heather still had morning sickness and the Amatos hadn't even been married for one year. I'm pretty sure they were planning a trip to Vegas.

The time passes so quickly these days... faster than before. I've always taken the saying "stop and smell the roses" pretty literally. It annoys Joel sometimes when we're walking the dogs and I see a rosebush. He knows I'm going to say it. "Stop and smell the roses," I say. I stop and sniff and continue walking. Perhaps in these days of faster moving time, we shouldn't just stop and sniff. We should stop and take some time to truly enjoy them. Just a thought.

I'll post some pictures from our trip to Lake George a little later today. Have a wonderful (slow) day and Happy Anniversary to Don and Claire!

No comments: