Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Brice has learned to crawl, wave and cruise, but forgotten how to sleep!

Thank goodness my child is incredibly handsome. I mean, people tell me that he's a good looking kid and all but I have to say, I think that he's one of the best looking little boys I know. And thank god. Because if my child was not the cutest, sweetest thing on the face of the Earth, I probably would have locked him outside in the backyard last night.

Okay, obviously I'm joking. I would never leave him outside or anywhere for that matter, but for all of the wonderful steps forward he has taken over the last couple of weeks, we seem to have taken one ENORMOUS step in reverse.

Sleep. He just doesn't want to do it. Joel and I actually pondered this morning whether or not they have sleep camp for babies. If they did, we'd take him there.

Brice goes down pretty easily. He's worn out from play and by 7pm, he's rubbing his eyes. I change him into his PJs, take him into his room and give him a bottle. Within 30 minutes, he's zonked out. The problem begins sometime between 1am-5am. We're not really sure why he wakes up. Sometimes it seems like he's having a bad dream. Other times he's starving. No matter how long we let him cry, he will not settle back down. We used to be able to get him to go back to bed by rocking him and giving him a bottle or the binky. These days, the only way to get him back to sleep is to bring him in bed with us.

Let's take last night for example. Brice went to bed happy as a clam at 7:30pm. At 2:30am we woke up to Brice babbling. By 3:00am it was a full on cry. Joel tried the bottle. Fail. Binky. Fail. Rocking. Fail. Finally, by 3:30am we gave up and brought him into bed. He babbled, played with my nose and his blanket and crawled around in circles in bed for another HOUR before he finally passed out at 4:30am. At 5:45am he was wide awake again! How is this possible?

Here's something to remember before you start commenting on how well the Ferber method worked for you. 1) Joel and I both work full time and we are exhausted. 2) I am 15 weeks pregnant and I am exhausted. 3) There is no location in our house remote enough to escape the sound of Brice crying and we are exhausted. I have actually considered sleeping in my tub upstairs, but I can hear him crying through the floor.

On a positive note, we've made several strides! Brice is on day three of an alimentum/regular formula mix. His tummy seems to be adjusting well to the normal formula and we're hoping that in a matter of weeks we can make a complete switch. Brice is cruising. He really loves walking along the couch and the ottoman with no help. He's also rocking on all fours. I'm assuming that he'll be moving from an army crawl to a regular crawl in no time. His favorite thing to do is to crawl in circles in his crib. Joel thinks he likes to talk to ALL of his stuffed animals so he has to make his rounds (no pun intended). One final note, Brice waved bye-bye to Joel yesterday. He hasn't done it again but we're working on it!

I'll take and post some pictures tonight of our sleepless boy!

No comments: