Thursday, August 6, 2009

What we did for our summer vacation...

Yes, it has been far too long since I have posted an update so here we go. We are home from our wonderful vacation to London. It was so nice to see my sister Jill, her husband Andy and their new baby, Grace. I swear, Grace is the sweetest little girl I have ever met. She is absolutely tiny but very rugged! She came with us everywhere and was content simply sleeping in her pram or resting in anyone's open arms.

Brice is now eight months old! We don't have a doctor's appointment until next month so I don't have an exact weight and height, but if I had to estimate, I'd say he's pushing 22lbs. The height is a little difficult for me to gauge... he actually seems slightly short to me. Who knows. While in London, Brice accomplished several feats worth mentioning:

1. Three new teeth! We have the addition of a new lower tooth and the two toppers have pushed through bringing the tooth grand total to five. I keep promising him that a hamburger is in his future.
2. He babbled DaDa for the first time. Granted, he has no idea what it means and pretty much says it to anyone and everyone, but I have to say, its the most wonderful sound! Perhaps MaMa is on the horizon!
3. He is finally taking the first steps toward crawling. He can move his way along the floor army crawl style. It takes a long time for him to get anywhere and he's clearly frustrated at the process. He still prefers to walk with someone holding his hands and has the most fun going up and down the one step to our living room. I'm going to look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame by the time this kid learns how to walk!
4. Brice has mastered Cheerio consumption. Every morning in London we would share a bowl of cereal and he really enjoyed eating the Cheerios one by one.
5. He now is able to cruise along the back of the couch or any other furniture that rests on carpet. Our boy loves to walk!

On Tuesday we went to Norwalk Hospital for our 12 week NT scan for baby H2. Basically at this appointment, they take a bunch of measurements of the baby's head, neck and spine to determine the risk for things like Downs Syndrome, etc. The measurements came back fine and we should get the final test results early next week. It was nice to see H2 moving and bouncing around in there. This baby certainly is an active one! S/he was happily showing off the tush, playing with its hands and rolling over and over. Unfortunately, due to all the movement, we weren't able to get any good photos from the scan so we'll have to wait two months to see if we can get some quality pictures. Seeing H2 actually look like a baby for the first time made the fact that we're having a second child seem much more real. I think I hadn't really grasped the concept that I would soon be a mother of two. The thought makes me proud and paranoid. Excited and afraid. Its such a wide range of emotions. I'm thankful that I have another two trimesters to process this and figure out a way to explain it to Brice so that he'll understand.

So now we're back to work. I'll admit that this summer passed by far too quickly and I hate seeing the back to school ads on tv already. I enjoy the late summer afternoons, taking a walk around the block and down to the beach with Joel, Brice, Shamus and Lucy, being able to wear shorts and flip flops, sleeping with a light blanket. I'm not ready for waking up when its dark and coming home from work when its dark. I'm certainly not looking forward to long pants, sweaters and boots. I think that for the remainder of the month or two that we have left of this glorious weather, I'm going to try to make each day last for as long as possible! Too bad I can't do it with a cocktail in hand. Sigh. Next summer.

Since I haven't done it in awhile, here's my new list of music I've got on heavy rotation, just in case you're looking for something to add to your ipod:

Damien Rice - Volcano
Maxi Priest - Wild World (cover)
Kasabian - pretty much anything. Their music rocks.
Ziggy Marley - Cry, Cry, Cry
Gossip - Cruel World
Glen Hansard and Markita Irglova- Falling Softly
Kris Allen - Heartless (cover)

No comments: