Monday, July 28, 2008

Back to the land of the living

So for the first time in 15 or so weeks, I feel like myself again. 23 pounds of baby weight aside, I am coming out of my haze and turning back into the Erica that you all know and (hopefully) love. We had a great weekend. Joel and I actually went out to dinner alone on Friday night (crazy, I know). This may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but Joel and I haven't eaten dinner out since April 2. The day after I found out I was pregnant. We used to eat out all the time. Sadly, our dinner at Bonda in Westport wasn't that great but the company certainly was.

Saturday night we stopped by my friend Zach Lowe's house. Matt Lutz was there with his sweet wife and sweet, four week old son, Michael. It was nice seeing all of them. Zach's a good friend from high school and at Joel's expense, we spent a couple of hours reminiscing about all the ridiculousness that we got up to back when we were teenagers. We thought back to Cancun. How or why did our parents ever let us go there alone? The prom. I think I still harbor a little anger toward Zach for not going and someday he's going to owe me a dance (just to prove that he actually dances). The first time we ever chatted online. It seemed so momentous back in 1994. Turner, Lowe and I at the Apple IIGs exercising our freedom of speech. We also discussed the fact that we talked on the phone then. For hours. About nothing. Now, kids text, chat on facebook or talk over their wireless audio connection while playing video games. Back then, I remember sitting in my bedroom, phone to my ear, propped up by a pillow. We'd watch movies on the phone. Saturday Night Live. MTV. My dad hated every second of it but I loved it. It was my connection to the outside world (and by outside, I mean everything that occurred just past the gates of Weavers Hill).

We left Zach's and headed over to Charles' annual White Party. He outdid himself as usual. Everyone looked beautiful in their crisp white attire. For the first time, I felt 50% like a superstar and 50% like a freakshow. Jeff's Irish girlfriend blessed my belly (which was pretty cool even though we're Jewish). Many girls complimented me, my outfit, the fact that I was out and having fun. Some girl told me that she saw me from the balcony and had to come down to say hello. The freakshow part came from the guys. At this phase, I can't hide my bump. I also can't hide my sobriety (my dancing totally suffers). I guess these two elements, perhaps plus the ring on my finger, mean there's no point in even talking to me anymore. Alas, this is what the land of the living brings I suppose. Nonetheless, baby Harvill seemed to enjoy the party. He was kicking and bouncing to the music the whole time and with Joel at my side, I had the attention of the two men that really matter.

T-minus 5 days until vacation and I can't wait.

No comments: