Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Baby Harvill Plays a Cruel Joke

With 47 days left to go until our due date, Baby Harvill decided to play a mean joke on us. He stopped moving. Usually he's very active late at night and early in the morning, so much so that I typically complain (a lot). Well, after all our travels, I was pretty exhausted last night. Joel and I were on the couch watching football (go Pats!) and I noticed that there wasn't much movement going on. I ate a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream and chugged some water. Nothing. I determined that perhaps he too was exhausted and was just sleeping more than normal.

I woke up this morning for my usual 5am pee and still nothing. I poked and prodded around until about 7am when we finally decided to call the doctor. Dr. Kelly told me to drink something cold and sugary and then to stay still for 2 hours while counting kicks. She said that if I could count 10 good kicks in the 2 hour period, we were good to go. Joel got me a nice, hefty glass of Coke (nothing like a little Coke for breakfast to really make you want to throw up) and we sat and waited... and waited... and waited. Finally, after about an hour, Baby Harvill started practicing his soccer kicks again. Slowly at first and then more regularly after about 2.5 hours. We were able to count the 10 kicks in just under 2 hours. Yay! We called the doctor back and the nurse instructed me to do the same exercise following every meal for the remainder of the day.

So, here I am counting. I feel like a poster child for Sesame Street. He's been pretty active this afternoon and my assumption is that we'll be back to normal by this evening. I've given Baby Harvill a little talking too as well. He now knows that even though Halloween is a few days away, he does not have the right to scare mom and dad like that.

No comments: