Sunday, October 5, 2008

Single Digit Weeks

We have reached the 31 week mark. I looked at the calendar today and saw just 63 days to go. That's two months, people. Crazy how the time is really starting to fly. It is now taking me longer than ever to get ready in the morning, in part because I can no longer reach my feet. Yesterday, I got completely dressed, coughed, peed in my pants and had to start from scratch with a fresh outfit. At least I was still at home... I'm thinking I may have to carry spare bottoms with me in the car in case of emergency.

I've started getting the rude comments from people in public places. At Home Depot, Joel and my conversation with a man in the kitchen cabinet department went something like this:

Random Old Man in Dirty Orange Home Depot Apron: Wow, you're not going to give birth in the store, are you?
Me: No, I've got two months to go. I think there's a pretty good chance this baby won't be born while we wait for you to price cabinets for us.
Random: Wow, you're pretty big though. I wouldn't be surprised if this baby came early.
Me: Are you trying to tell me something about my weight? This kiddo has two more months to bake and I'm really not trying to rush him out.
Random: Seriously? There's no way you're making it to December.
Me: Thanks again for your vote of confidence. It really makes me feel great. Since you are apparently psychic, can you use your infinite wisdom to tell us how much the cabinets will cost?

At this point, a look of utter panic washes over Joel's face (and not because the cabinets will cost us a fortune). For the first time we both realize this baby could come at some point next month. We sit down at the table with another "sales associate" so he can measure out what our cabinet needs would be. The lady sitting next to us starts up the same line of questioning. I tell Joel this is what I'm faced with EVERY DAY. Every person I see has a perspective on whether I'm huge or tiny, how great I look or how I look like crap. Its as if all normal social boundaries are broken and strangers have the right to comment on my body all they want.

I invested in my first pair of flat shoes today. I'm conducting a scientific experiment to see if flat shoes make my nighttime back aches go away. I'll report results later. For now, I'm getting used to being 8 inches shorter than Joel and realizing that my pants are really, really long.

Tomorrow I'm heading into New York to conduct our media day with Troy Aikman. He's got 23 interviews slated between 6:30am and 1:30pm so it is shaping up to be a busy morning. This is my last celebrity-driven media event before maternity leave, so I'll be doing a little dance tomorrow night as I check this off my "to do" list. Maybe I can get Troy to autograph my big fat belly? Maybe not.

Here's a picture of the week for you (yep, those are the flats):
We're headed to Bethesda Thursday morning for David and Catherine's wedding (we can't wait) so I'll try to update with some photos of us all fancied up when we get back on Monday.

No comments: