Monday, October 27, 2008

Baby Shower Weekend

Yesterday was my/our baby shower and I have to say, Baby Harvill made out like a total bandit! First and foremost, my sister, Allyson, did an amazing job as hostess and party planner. She put together the most beautiful floral arrangements (more beautiful hydrangeas, just like my bridal bouquet), the food and cake were so yummy, and the water bottles and bars of chocolate that she and my mother made were so cute!

I'm working from home today, so I spent a little time this afternoon going back through all of the goodies that we received. My co-workers, Joanne, Naya and Jennifer gave me these fabulous lavender scented slippers and I've been wearing them all day. These things are a total must-have as you can microwave them and they do such a great job of soothing tired tootsies. Baby Harvill got some very cute and trendy clothes and some of the softest blankies (Kelly and Heather, I think Joel has already claimed the large green blankie as his own) and stuffed animals that I have ever felt. He also will be blessed with the sharpest kicks in town... two pairs of Converse All-Stars so that he can follow in the footsteps of his Grandma Elaine. My sis-in-law AJ also made sure that our little bundle will be rooting for the right team (in her mind, at least) and got us the cutest Redskins outfit. I may have to get him some Pats gear too just so he is well rounded :). My mom took the cake with her alphabet quilt. I think its her best work to date and its going to be hard for me to use it as I'm so afraid of ruining it!

I have already decided on Baby Harvill's coming home outfit. Thalia gave us the sweetest fleece outfit, complete with a little hoodie with ears.

Needless to say, Joel and I are so amazed with all of the gifts and we really, really appreciate the generosity of all of our family and friends. THANK YOU! Once we complete the nursery, I will post some photos!

I had my 34 week doctor's appointment today. My legs and feet are totally swollen and the swelling is now starting to migrate to my hands. I'm up 5lbs (unbelievable) since my last appointment just two weeks ago. Dr. Kelly is getting close to giving me a doctor's note to work from home, as she really wants me to sit with my feet elevated to reduce the swelling and that just won't happen in my officle. Dr. Kelly wants to wait until my 36 week ultrasound in two weeks to come up with a plan of action, though. By that point, we should have an idea of how big Baby Harvill is and we can make a determination where to go next. If the baby is averaging normal or small in size, he'll continue to "bake" for another couple of weeks. If he's looking large, they may induce so that we don't run the risk of preeclampsia (although my blood pressure is still really low). Needless to say, I am now starting to feel the pressure to get everything wrapped up at work and at home in case they do induce at around 37 weeks. Two weeks and we'll see.

Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty large and in charge. Sleep is now a luxury. I think the more annoyed and exhausted I get, the faster Joel manages to fall asleep at night. My back is really starting to hurt and I pretty much no longer feel comfortable. Seeing the calendar say 41 days to go gives me joy, as I'm ready for the pregnancy portion of this journey to be over and the mothering part to get started. More later...

No comments: